Make it more expensive for businesses to pollute. About Carbon Linked
Carbonlinked makes cap-and-trade stable coins, tokens backed by emission units within Government enforced cap-and-trade programs. We do this to empower anyone to drive decarbonization and gain exposure to a scarce asset class.
The Problem? The public is getting screwed by industrial emitters.
Climate change is going to be extremely expensive. Every tonne of new greenhouse gas contributes to future climate disasters which we, the public, pay for through taxes and increased insurance premiums.
This isn’t fair because we are not responsible for industrial emissions.
We have a broken system for pricing emissions.
Cap-and-trade programs motivate companies to reduce emissions by putting a price on pollution. The price is set by the market, but right now, the public cannot participate.
This is a problem because without the public, industrial emitters are motivated to keep the price as low as possible. Meaning the public will continue to pay for the damages caused by industrial emitters.
Think Tether, but for emission units - the currencies of cap-and-trade programs.
- Think Tether, but for emission units - the currencies of cap-and-trade programs.
- Carbonlinked makes cap-and-trade programs accessible, through carbonlinked tokens.
- Each token is backed 1:1 with Government issued emission units.
Carbonlinked was born out of a founder’s problem - Why is it so hard for the public to buy emission units?
Alex is a climate nerd and investor. During Covid he read up on New Zealand’s emission trading scheme (ETS), it’s international climate goals and it’s lack of progress towards those goals.
He thought the emission units, which are just permission slips for companies to release new greenhouse gasses, were undervalued and a great way to get a high return and have a positive impact.
But buying the emission units was really hard. He created a company, went through endless administration and had to pool funds with friends just to meet the minimum bid at the Government auction.
Digging deeper, he realised this is a really big problem: without the public participation industrial emitters are motivated to keep the price as low as possible. Meanwhile, the public faces endless costs of climate change!
Carbonlinked was born to make it easy for the public to trade emission units.
High impact - Buying carbonlinked tokens reduces the supply of emission units, making it more expensive for businesses to pollute. The higher the price, the greater the incentive to decarbonize.
High potential returns - Emission units have engrained scarcity from the cap-and-trade structure. New Zealand, like the rest of the world, is behind on meeting it’s international climate targets. The international monetary fund and the Climate Change Commission have recommended further reductions to emission unit supply for New Zealand to meet its climate goals.
Progress and Traction
Carbonlinked has an MVP - NZC - NZ Carbon Credit:
- 14 Holders
- >1400 New Zealand Emission Units Held
- Accessible via Uniswap liquidity pool
- Airminers - Underwent launchpad program with top carbon removal start ups.
- GitCoin - climate pool recipient with 93 contributors.
- Validate offering with the ReFi community
Connections and Reach. If you know anyone in the Refi community you think we should talk to, we’d love the connection 📩 firstname.lastname@example.org.
Web3 empowers anyone with an internet connection and a wallet to participate in global ecosystems.We want to leverage this to shake the world of emission trading schemes and cap-and-trade programs.
What does the Web3 New Zealand ecosystem need to thrive?
- For the ecosystem to thrive we need to collaborate to solve common problems.
- Some of the core common problems are:
- Understanding regulatory obligations and legal position
- Building international communities
- Integration with New Zealand specific applications - such as a low cost fiat onramp/offramp without onboarding KYC risk.
Looking to get involved in the joyride of learning and building in Web3?
Whether you are a founder, creator or a curious soul wondering what Web3 has to offer, the Web3NZ community is a peer to peer learning platform and connection ecosystem that encourages and supports anyone who would like to learn, collaborate and innovate in Web3 🚀
- NZ Location: Auckland
- Industry: Stable Coins, Cap & Trade Programs.
- Website: www.carbonlinked.com
- Current Stage: MVP/ Validation.
- Seeking Investment Round: N/A
- Founding Team: Alex Bissell, Kim Eddenberg
Co-Founder: Alex Bissell
Co-Founder: Kim Eddenberg